THE FOLLOWING IS A LIST OF THINGS THAT ONE SHOULD KEEP IN MIND WHEN PREPARING FOR HAJJ.
• Make sure you have enough money.
• A valid passport.
• For men only – buy your Ihram and learn how to put it on and be comfortable doing it so as to avoid
any embarrassing situations.
• Make sure you take your necessary vaccinations at least 2 weeks prior your departure.
• Learn how to make Hajj: read and educate yourself. Try to attend workshops. Talk to people who have
already been for Hajj. Buy Hajj guide books and take them with you.
• Get some safety pockets and a safety belt to keep your money and documents with u.
• Sew pockets with zips on your vests or camisoles or petticoats and store your money in it.
• Shoe bags are a must: carry a few extra in case one gets lost.
• Pegs, string, hangers are very useful items and don’t take up too much space in your bag.
• Pegs: come handy to hang your clothes and underwear.
• String: comes handy to make a small washing line.
• Hangers come useful to hang your clothes.
• A small sewing kit, for the odd button or hem that comes loose.
• Safety pins, a small sharp scissors.
• Make extra copies of your passports and travelers cheques and other important documents, and leave it
with your family at home.
• A thick black marker, some tape, a pocket pen, a writing pad and a calendar are also essential items to
• An alarm clock
• Medication: panados, cough mixture,
Imodium, buscopain tablets, an anti acid like kolentyl gel or gaviscon, flu tablets like flutex or Actifed, throat lozenges, and a throat spray
• If you are on long term medication please consult with your doctor.
• A first aid kit: some plasters, a small bottle savlon, mercurochrome, betadine, bandage and some cotton wool.
• Toiletries: shampoo a combination of shampoo and conditioner in one. Toothpaste, a good toothbrush, soap, shower gel, roll on, deodorant, body lotion, sanitary towels, a good lotion for heels. Camphor cream mixed with olive oil or aqueous cream mixed with olive oil. A tin of zambuk, Vaseline and Vicks.
• Sweets and biscuits of choice.
• China fruit, biltong and crisp are optional.
• Hajj mat
• Sunglasses and an umbrella.
• Spray bottles.
• Socks, jersey, jacket or shawl as Medina gets quite cold in the mornings and evenings.
• A comfortable shoe or sandal.
• When packing your bags, make sure you secure them with a lock and key, and label it with your correct name, address and telephone numbers. A good idea is to tape the handle of your bag with different colour insulation type, and tape it in such a way that the colours are visible.
• For females this is an excellent idea: sew a small pocket on the inside of your bra and put your money or rings, chains, bangles etc in it. You could also store a copy of your passport in it.
• Take a knapsack with u for the 5 days of Hajj.