By Umamah Bakharia
The KwaZulu-Natal government says its resources have been stretched thin as it tries to limit the impact of the floods on residents and infrastructure.
On Saturday, the South African weather services issued a level 10 red warning of torrential rain and strong winds which battered the coastline overnight.
This comes less than a month ago more than 450 people died in devastating floods in the province.
Speaking to Radio Islam, Executive Committee Councillor and the Leader of the DA in eThekwini, Nicole Graham says the issue lies with the Durban’s water system.
According to Graham, the hardest rainfall over the weekend was recorded in the Bluff, Umdloti and Umhlanga at around 270mm.
“Umdloti has got some peculiar problems relating to some engineering issues and some planning issues in the area because of developments in the area that have caused other problems,” says Graham.
In some areas, roads and infrastructure got washed away while in the midst of repairs from the April floods.
However, the province’s floods over the weekend have not been as severe compared to last month.
“A lot of what we are seeing now, is a knock-on effect of what we saw in April because in many places the damage has not been addressed,” says Graham.
She is hopeful that the worst for eThekwini is as many families have been displaced and missing following the floods.
So far airports in KZN are still operating while schools have been advising learners to remain cautious.