Umm Muhammed Umar
A fire took place this afternoon at FR Panel Beaters in Anchorville, Lenasia on Saturday afternoon. Ward Councillor Imraan Moosa was at the scene.
Speaking to Radio Islam, the Councillor said that they had had to work extremely quickly to contain the blaze as the neighbouring store, Midas, a hardware store, has an enormous wood storage. He said the consequences of the fire spreading to Midas’ wood storage would have been massive. In addition to this, the vehicles awaiting work at FR Panel Beaters were a danger in themselves, due to the fuel they contained in their petrol tanks. The Councillor was extremely concerned that an explosion could take place.
Councillor Imraan Moosa added that 30 vehicles had been destroyed in the blaze, but that a further roughly 200 vehicles had been spared, thanks to the swift action of the EMS, the fire department, and Saaberie Chisty, all of whom he had called on for assistance.
Its as yet unknown what had caused the fire.