The Minister of Basic Education says that the Department of Basic Education had suffered financial losses of more than R300 million due to damages of schools during the violent unrest in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal.
Angie Motshekga had been addressing the media on Saturday about the opening of schools on Monday.
IOL reports that President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to confirm the date of the official opening of schools on Sunday.
Motshekga said, “In KwaZulu-Natal, officials have informed us that some of the damaged schools incurred serious damages which could pose a danger to the lives of learners.” Plumbing equipment had been destroyed, electrical wires ripped out and libraries were set on fire. Motshega added that alternative places were now being sought in order for teaching to resume. She said that while 43 schools had been damaged in Gauteng, 11 had been during the recent unrest. 139 schools were vandalized in KZN.
IOL reports that the DBE will be consulting with civil society organisations to help in protecting the schools. Motshekga said, “we need to stand together in condemning the destruction of public and private property.”
Umm Muhammed Umar