Imagine you are in a situation in which you need water to perform Wudu but if you can’t find any. Or you are calling in sick and you can’t touch water with your bare hands. You can perform Tayammum, an alternative to Wudu, which does not require the use of water.
- Spot a clean place. This can be anything natural like rock, sand or grass.
- Recite the following: Bismillaah hirahmaan nirrahiim “In the name of allah, the most Gracious, the most Compassionate”
- Make Niyyah, or the intention to perform Tayammum.
- Place your both hands on the ground or the stone.
- Lift your hands and ensure that there is no dust on your palm surface by hitting against your hands together.
- Rub your face with both your hands. The face encompasses the right ear to the left, and the top of the forehead to the bottom of the chin.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5.
- Rub your arms. Use your left hand to rub your right arm from the fingers to the elbow, and back along the inner arm to the hand. Do the same with the other arm using the right hand.
That’s it. Your Tayamum is made. Now you can Perform your Salaah.