• Medical, Ml Junaid Kharsany
    Wed, 8:05 pm - 9:00 pm
    [ - ]


Radio Islam Logo

((( Listen Live )))))
Radio Islam Logo

Marriage out of Community of Property

Mar 17, 2008
By Ridwaan Desai,
Attorney Conveyancer and Notary Public,
practising as Desai and Associates

If you're married out of community of property without the accrual system (ANC), your respective assets and liabilities are kept separate. So, its largely a case of 'what's mine is mine, and what's your is yours'. You are not liable for any debts of your spouse, unless the debt was incurred buying necessities for the joint household, such as food, clothing, medical bills, electricity bills and so on, in which case both of you are liable.

Each of you retains your own property if you get divorced. If your spouse dies, you keep your own property. His property will either be distributed according to his Will, or the laws of South African intestate succession if there was no will.

While this has the advantage that your estate is not at risk if your spouse suffers a financial setback, it can operate unfairly against a wife who forfeits earning an income for years while she stays at home to raise small children. However, it should be noted that this is the Islamic way of marriage. It is unfortunate that we live in a society where Islamic Laws are not taken into consideration, hence we need to ensure that we follow the Islamic way where ever we can.

Marriage out of community of property, subject to the accrual system
The accrual system works in the following way: While you are still married, your assets and liabilities are kept separate and are administered separately. When the marriage is dissolved, whether by divorce or death, there is a sharing of profits and loses, similar to a marriage in community of property.

On dissolution of the marriage, the accrual of the respective estates is calculated. If your estate shows the smaller accrual, you can claim for half of the difference between the two accruals. Effectively, this means that the total net increase in both estates is added up and divided equally.

You are both free to exclude certain assets from the calculation of the accrual, such as separate property that you may have acquired before the marriage. To do this you have to value the property when you get married and state what your estate is worth at the start of the marriage.


Husband Wife
Estate on date of marriage (excluded) R100 000 R50 000
Estate on divorce / death (Accrual) R500 000 R250 000
Accrual R400 000 R200 000

Total accrual of R600 000, of which each spouse gets R 300 000; therefore husband (or his estate if he is dead) has to pay wife R100 000.
The advantage of this system is that both of you are protected against the financial losses of the other during the marriage. On termination of the marriage, both of your contributions to the marriage are recognised in that you have an equal share in proprietary gains made during the marriage.

Next Column: Questions and Answers on Marriages
For any queries/questions please e-mail: legal@desaiattorneys.co.za


Prime Spot!!!


Related Articles

The Transfer of Property

 By Ridwaan Desai,Attorney Conveyancer and Notary Public, practising as Desai and AssociatesSelling your house: The term "conveyancing" (which is derived from the word "convey" meaning to move) describes the legal process whereby the rights in...

read more

Do You Need A Marriage Contract?

By Ridwaan Desai,Attorney Conveyancer and Notary Public,practising as Desai and AssociatesMarriage is a union between two people which in Islam is a very sacred act, which completes half our faith. However, because we are living in a country where the Laws are not...

read more

Questions and Answers on Property

By Ridwaan Desai,Attorney Conveyancer and Notary Public,practising as Desai and AssociatesQ: My Brother in Law owns a time share apartment, and wants to transfer the share into my name. What will it cost to transfer the Title Deed into my name?A: In a time share...

read more

What Happens at the Deeds Office?

The conveyancer will lodge the title deed and other documents that he has prepared in the deeds office for registration. The deeds office is a government registry of ownership in all fixed property and other rights in fixed property. If there is a bond to be...

read more

What Are The Costs Involved?

By Ridwaan Desai,Attorney Conveyancer and Notary Public,practising as Desai and AssociatesWHAT ARE THE COSTS INVOLVED?The costs relating to the transfer of fixed property fall into three main categories:Transfer duty or Value Added Tax - where transfer duty is payable...

read more

Requirements before signing the Transfer Documents

By Ridwaan Desai,Attorney Conveyancer and Notary Public, practising as Desai and AssociatesBoth the seller and the purchaser will be required to call at the office of the conveyancer to sign certain documents which have been prepared by the conveyancer and which will...

read more

Subscribe to our Newsletter


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *