Umm Muhammed Umar
The families of the 10 civilians who were killed in a US drone attack in August in the days leading up to the American troop withdrawal from Afghanistan, have reportedly been offered payments by the Pentagon. Seven children were also killed in the attack on Kabul.
According to Al Jazeera the US Department of Defence said that it was offering “ex-gratia condolence payments”, as well as support to any family members interested in relocating to the US.
The Pentagon claimed that the August 29 attack targeted an ISIS Khurasan Province suicide bomber who allegedly posed a threat to US-led troops at the airport. But footage from the scene showed the remains of a car scattered around the courtyard of a building. The Pentagon later claimed the raid had been a “tragic mistake”.
While US Secretary of Defence, Lloyd Austin, has apologised for the attack, family members of the victims say it is not enough. The nephew of one of the victims said, “They must come here and apologise to us face-to-face.” Family members also say that they have not been contacted directly regarding the Pentagon’s offer.