By Abu Muhammad
An SANDF internal document has leaked indicating that the arm is on standby as violence increases in the country.
Radio Islam spoke to Lindy Heinecken, researcher and deputy director of the Centre for Military Studies at the South African Military Academy, who made the following points:
– A document has leaked, and the military is on standby for any possible emergency.
– There is a heightened awareness due to the pollical instability in the country.
– Governments generally do not want to use the military in an internal role as militaries are trained to use lethal force.
– When we became a democracy, it was stated that the military should not be used in an internal role.
– Since 2009, the military is increasingly being pulled into an internal role.
– The SANDF does not have the capacity, nor are they trained for the public order role.
Click the link to listen to the full interview