CURRENTLY ON AIR ⇒
  • The Friday Circle, Annisa Essack
    Friday, 2:05 pm - 3:00 pm
    [ - ]

feedback@radioislam.org.za

logo


((( Listen Live )))))
Radio Islam Logo


Late Applications for Gauteng Schools Closed Today

Neelam Rahim | neelam@radioislam.co.za

3-minute read
30 January 2025 | 11:19 CAT

Department of Basic Education announces the official closure of late applications for Grade 1 and Grade 8 placements in Gauteng.

With the deadline for late applications now closed, Gauteng parents seeking Grade One and Grade Eight placements for their children had until today to secure a spot. The online system, which opened for late applications earlier this year, served as a final opportunity for those who missed the initial application window.

Speaking to Radio Islam International, Gauteng Department of Education spokesperson Steve Mabona emphasized the importance of this process. “The late application assisted us in ensuring that all parents who might have missed the initial period—whether due to relocation, incomplete applications, or other reasons—could still place their children in schools,” said Mabona.

Since the online application period commenced in July last year, more than 344,000 learners were placed. During the late application phase, an additional 32,000 learners secured placement. “Once a parent picked a school from the available options, the child was automatically placed, eliminating any waiting period,” he added.

Despite the department’s efforts, concerns remained over school capacity, particularly in high-demand areas. Mabona acknowledged these challenges, stating, “We know that some parents chose schools that were far from their homes. While we worked to accommodate them, full schools made placement difficult. However, we collaborated with these schools to adjust class capacities where possible.”

The department continued to urge parents to act swiftly. “We encouraged parents to log into the system, select a school, and ensure their child could start attending classes immediately,” said Mabona.

With school already in session, the department worked closely with institutions to minimize disruptions. “Once placed, learners could start school the very next day,” Mabona assured.

As the final deadline passed, parents were advised to have finalized their applications to prevent any further delays in their children’s education.

For more information, parents were directed to visit the Gauteng Department of Education’s online portal or contact their offices directly.

Listen to the full interview on Your World Today with Mufti Yusuf Moosagie and Steve Mabona here.

ADVERTISE HERE

Prime Spot!!!

Contact:
advertisingadmin@radioislam.co.za 

Related Articles

The Middle East Report

The Middle East Report

Sameera Casmod | sameerac@radioislam.co.za 29 August 2025 | 11:41 CAT 3-minute read Gaza ceasefire mediators have diverging objectives While Qatar and Egypt have have persuaded Hamas to accept the month-old ceasefire proposal, the United States and Israel have...

read more
The Media Lens

The Media Lens

28 August 2025 | 10:25 CAT 2-minute read Silencing the Truth: Gaza Journalists Under Fire In today’s segment of the Media Lens, Ibrahim Deen delivered a searing critique of how Western media coverage is quietly facilitating the erosion of press freedom—and, with it,...

read more
The Asia Pacific Report

The Asia Pacific Report

FORUM-ASIA reports shrinking civic space across Asia as HRD crackdowns increase 28 August 2025 | 09:15 CAT 2-minute read In its sixth biennial Defending in Numbers: Reclaiming Civic Space, Unbroken Voices report, released on 14 July 2025, FORUM-ASIA delivers a stark...

read more
SASSA to Roll Out Biometric System to Curb Fraud

SASSA to Roll Out Biometric System to Curb Fraud

Neelam Rahim | neelam@radioislam.co.za 3-minute read | 27 August 2025 | 15:35 CAT The South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) is set to implement a new Beneficiary Biometric Enrollment System at all its offices starting 1 September 2025, in a bid to strengthen...

read more
SA sees surge in political party registrations

SA sees surge in political party registrations

27 August 2025 | 10:10 CAT 2-minute read South Africa’s political landscape is becoming increasingly crowded, with the Electoral Commission of South Africa (IEC) confirming that the country now has 472 registered political parties — the highest number in its history....

read more

Subscribe to our Newsletter

0 Comments