CURRENTLY ON AIR ⇒
  • Live Khutba & Jumuah Salaah from Haramain with Translation, Surah Kahf, Surah Jumuah
    Friday, 11:15 am - 12:00 pm
    [ - ]

feedback@radioislam.org.za

logo


((( Listen Live )))))
Radio Islam Logo


Manhunt Underway: Fatal Shooting on Metrobus in Roodepoort

Azra Hoosen | ah@radioislam.co.za
27 June 2024 | 14:00 CAT
2 min read

A 40-year-old bank employee was shot and killed while boarding a Metrobus in Fleurhof, Roodepoort, on Wednesday morning. The woman tried to escape but was shot twice by an alleged hitman who had boarded the bus earlier.

In an interview with Radio Islam, Councillor Tyrell Meyers stated that, based on reports, the incident appears to be a well-orchestrated hit.

Johannesburg District Police Commissioner, Maj-Gen Max Masha, confirmed that the incident was not transport-related but rather a targeted attack. Police believe the woman was the gunman’s sole target, as he appeared to know her routine and that she boarded the bus there; he specifically aimed at her, showing no interest in harming anyone else.

“The passenger did try to escape, but the suspect followed the passenger around the bus, before getting into a getaway vehicle with no license plate,” said Meyers.

According to Meyers, there are a lot of stories in the media, but they do not have the complete details at this time.

Witnesses described the shooter as a man dressed in a cream top and hat. The gunman targeted only the woman and fled the scene in a white Volkswagen Polo sedan without license plates.

He urges the MEC for Transport to take more action to ensure Metrobus safety. “We spent a million on security and surveillance. There are concerns about what is being done. How do we stop people from carrying weapons onto the bus?” he questioned.

Meyers mentioned that some eyewitnesses reported seeing the suspect cocking his pistol on the bus, though this account remains unconfirmed.

According to Metrobus acting MD Bongani Radebe: “The shooter was in the bus, a seat away from where the bus operator sits. He cocked a gun, fired two shots. There were three passengers about to board the bus: two women, and one man. The deceased and the other woman ran away around the bus. They fell, and one of them was shot twice. She was certified dead on the scene.”

Metrobus will offer counseling to some passengers on the bus as well as to the bus driver.

Meyers advocates that improving monitoring and surveillance should be a priority for the city. “We must push for the automated fare collection system, it’s important for Metrobus to know its customer base,” he said.

He hopes this incident will initiate changes.

A manhunt is currently underway.

LISTEN to the full interview with Ml Habib Bobat and Councillor Tyrell Meyers, here.

ADVERTISE HERE

Prime Spot!!!

Contact:
advertisingadmin@radioislam.co.za 

Related Articles

Alternative Mining Indaba 2026

Alternative Mining Indaba 2026

Rabia Mayet | rabiamayet@radioislam.co.za 19 February 2026 1-minute read The Alternative Mining Indaba which concluded in Cape Town brought together an array of people under the theme: Alternative Stories of Mining, united in solidarity with the mining communities...

read more
SONA 2026: Calls for Action on Frontline Public Services

SONA 2026: Calls for Action on Frontline Public Services

Neelam Rahim | neelam@radioislam.co.za 3-minute read 11 February 2026 As South Africa prepares for the 2026 State of the Nation Address (SONA), renewed calls are being made for the government to prioritise the rebuilding of frontline public services, which analysts...

read more
ActionSA’s Proposal For Immigrants

ActionSA’s Proposal For Immigrants

Rabia Mayet | rabiamayet@radioislam.co.za 17 February 2026 2-minute read On the revised ‘White Paper on Citizenship, Immigration and Refugee Protection’ published last year, Actions SA has proposed for only 10 thousand applications for asylum seekers to be considered...

read more
What DA Premier Expects From SONA

What DA Premier Expects From SONA

Rabia Mayet | rabiamayet@radioislam.co.za 12 February 2026 2-minute read With 345 murders in the Western Cape this January, DA Premier Allen Winde states that his expectations from SONA this year are levelled towards crime. The party has been calling for a long time...

read more

Subscribe to our Newsletter

0 Comments