CURRENTLY ON AIR ⇒
  • Nikah Notices & Sahaba Profiles
    Friday, 9:05 am - 10:00 am
    [ - ]

feedback@radioislam.org.za

logo


((( Listen Live )))))
Radio Islam Logo


Nagorno-Karabakh: ceasefire agreed after dozens killed in military offensive

Neelam Rahim | neelam@radioislam.co.za

3-minute read
24 September 2023 | 17:03 CAT

Image: The Guardian

Separatist Armenian forces in Nagorno-Karabakh have agreed to the terms of a ceasefire proposed by Russian peacekeepers after suffering a series of battlefield setbacks at the hands of the Azerbaijani forces.

The agreement includes provisions for the local Armenian government to disband its local military in a capitulation to Azerbaijan.

Estimates of the number killed in the assault range from dozens to hundreds.

One official in Nagorno-Karabakh said at least 200 people had been killed and more than 400 wounded after Azerbaijan launched what it described as an “anti-terrorist operation” in the disputed South Caucasus region on Tuesday.

The prospect of a more long-lasting peace remains uncertain. Unfortunately, the issue of Nogorno-Karabakh and its future has remained in the balance for quite some time.

Two years ago, there was hope for further progress toward a more permanent peace. It seems unlikely under the current scenario and climate, where a very anti-Azharbhaijani population remains.

Meanwhile, Work is underway to restore electricity supplies by Sunday, the Karabakh Armenians said in a statement which also referred to “political consultations” on the future of the region, which they call Artsakh, and its 120,000 Armenian residents.

Russia’s defence ministry said that, under the ceasefire terms, the Armenian separatists had begun handing over their weapons to Azerbaijan, including more than 800 guns and six armoured vehicles. Moscow has 2,000 peacekeepers in the area.

Listen to the interview on the Daily Round-Up with Moulana Junain Kharsany and Talha Köse, the chair and Associate Professor of the Political Science Department at Ibn Haldun University.

ADVERTISE HERE

Prime Spot!!!

Contact:
advertisingadmin@radioislam.co.za 

Related Articles

The Media Lens

The Media Lens

28 August 2025 | 10:25 CAT 2-minute read Silencing the Truth: Gaza Journalists Under Fire In today’s segment of the Media Lens, Ibrahim Deen delivered a searing critique of how Western media coverage is quietly facilitating the erosion of press freedom—and, with it,...

read more
The Asia Pacific Report

The Asia Pacific Report

FORUM-ASIA reports shrinking civic space across Asia as HRD crackdowns increase 28 August 2025 | 09:15 CAT 2-minute read In its sixth biennial Defending in Numbers: Reclaiming Civic Space, Unbroken Voices report, released on 14 July 2025, FORUM-ASIA delivers a stark...

read more
SASSA to Roll Out Biometric System to Curb Fraud

SASSA to Roll Out Biometric System to Curb Fraud

Neelam Rahim | neelam@radioislam.co.za 3-minute read | 27 August 2025 | 15:35 CAT The South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) is set to implement a new Beneficiary Biometric Enrollment System at all its offices starting 1 September 2025, in a bid to strengthen...

read more
SA sees surge in political party registrations

SA sees surge in political party registrations

27 August 2025 | 10:10 CAT 2-minute read South Africa’s political landscape is becoming increasingly crowded, with the Electoral Commission of South Africa (IEC) confirming that the country now has 472 registered political parties — the highest number in its history....

read more

Subscribe to our Newsletter

0 Comments