CURRENTLY ON AIR ⇒
  • Quran Recitation
    Saturday, 3:30 am - 6:00 am
    [ - ]

feedback@radioislam.org.za

logo


((( Listen Live )))))
Radio Islam Logo


No safe place for Palestinians in Gaza as Israel widens offensive

Neelam Rahim | neelam@radioislam.co.za

3-minute read
29 December 2023 | 17:07 CAT

People stand over the shrouded bodies of loved ones killed during an Israeli bombardment at Nasser hospital in Khan Younis, southern Gaza. [Jehad Alshrafi/Anadolu] Al Jazeera

Casualties rise as Israeli forces pound central and southern areas of the enclave, including overcrowded refugee camps.

As the Israeli military pounded central and Southern Gaza by land, sea and air, Palestinian authorities reported scores of casualties, and the United Nations Health Agency said thousands of people were trying to flee the widening offensive.

Israel’s unprecedented air and ground offensive against Hamas has displaced some 85% of the Gaza Strip’s 2.3 million residents, sending swells of people seeking shelter in Israeli-designated safe areas that the military has nevertheless also bombed. That has left Palestinians with a harrowing sense that nowhere is safe in the tiny enclave.

“The confusion that Israelis have created by directing people to move to specific areas and bombarded those areas when people arrived to the region,” Gulf Studies Centre director, Professor Mahjoob Zweiri, told Radio Islam International.

Along the eastern border, the Israeli military continues its artillery shelling campaign, destroying more residential buildings in the east part of Khan Younis, Rafah, as well as the central area and the northern part of Gaza.

It is consistent with clearing the entire eastern area and preparing it for a buffer zone. It follows the narrative of making that area completely out of service in terms of schools and health facilities and eventually uninhabitable and eventually squeezing people into a small area and finally into expulsion.

Israeli forces were pressing on with their operations in the northern part of the enclave, leaving hundreds of thousands of fleeing Palestinians with no safe place left to shelter.

Meanwhile, the World Health Organization (WHO) said its staff had seen thousands of people fleeing heavy strikes in Khan Younis on foot, donkeys, or cars. Makeshift shelters were being built along the road.

“WHO is extremely concerned this fresh displacement of people will further strain health facilities in the south, which are already struggling to meet the population’s immense needs,” said Rik Peeperkorn, WHO representative for the occupied Palestinian territories.

“This forced mass movement of people will also lead to more overcrowding, increased risk of infectious diseases and make it even harder to deliver humanitarian aid,” WHO stated.

Listen to the full interview on the Daily Round-Up with Muallimah Annisa Essack.

ADVERTISE HERE

Prime Spot!!!

Contact:
advertisingadmin@radioislam.co.za 

Related Articles

Alternative Mining Indaba 2026

Alternative Mining Indaba 2026

Rabia Mayet | rabiamayet@radioislam.co.za 19 February 2026 1-minute read The Alternative Mining Indaba which concluded in Cape Town brought together an array of people under the theme: Alternative Stories of Mining, united in solidarity with the mining communities...

read more
SONA 2026: Calls for Action on Frontline Public Services

SONA 2026: Calls for Action on Frontline Public Services

Neelam Rahim | neelam@radioislam.co.za 3-minute read 11 February 2026 As South Africa prepares for the 2026 State of the Nation Address (SONA), renewed calls are being made for the government to prioritise the rebuilding of frontline public services, which analysts...

read more
ActionSA’s Proposal For Immigrants

ActionSA’s Proposal For Immigrants

Rabia Mayet | rabiamayet@radioislam.co.za 17 February 2026 2-minute read On the revised ‘White Paper on Citizenship, Immigration and Refugee Protection’ published last year, Actions SA has proposed for only 10 thousand applications for asylum seekers to be considered...

read more
What DA Premier Expects From SONA

What DA Premier Expects From SONA

Rabia Mayet | rabiamayet@radioislam.co.za 12 February 2026 2-minute read With 345 murders in the Western Cape this January, DA Premier Allen Winde states that his expectations from SONA this year are levelled towards crime. The party has been calling for a long time...

read more

Subscribe to our Newsletter

0 Comments