CURRENTLY ON AIR ⇒
  • Highlights of the Days Programmes
    Tuesday, 10:05 pm - 4:00 am
    [ - ]

feedback@radioislam.org.za

logo


((( Listen Live )))))
Radio Islam Logo


SAHPRA clears Benylin Paediatric cough syrup after recall over toxic chemical fears

Azra Hoosen | ah@radioislam.co.za
7 June 2024 | 10:30 CAT
2 min read

South African health authorities have cleared Benylin Paediatric syrup of any toxin contamination after conducting independent tests on two affected batches. This comes after recalls were issued in five African countries due to reports of high levels of diethylene glycol in the syrup, which can be harmful.

Although the affected batches were produced in South Africa, tests revealed no traces of the toxin, reassuring the public about the product’s safety.

The CEO of the SA Health Products Regulatory Authority (SAHPRA) emphasised ongoing monitoring to ensure public health protection.

In an interview with Radio Islam, Deon Poovan, Senior Manager of SAHPRA’s Inspectorate and Regulatory Compliance, clarified that due to the severity of diethylene glycol contamination in medicines, SAHPRA initiated a precautionary recall.

“From initial investigations, we found that the batch that Nigeria found was linked to another batch, which is why you see two batch numbers of Benylin Paediatric being recalled by SAHPRA. Since then, SAHPRA has conducted its own independent testing of samples of these two batches and found they do not contain traces of diethylene glycol and, therefore safe for consumption,” he said.

According to Poovan, the recall only pertained to two specific batches, emphasising that Benylin Paediatric consistently adheres to good manufacturing practices. Additionally, he noted that the manufacturer has cooperated fully with SAHPRA, conducting their own rigorous testing and root-cause investigations.

It has been reported that no adverse events have so far been reported in South Africa or other African countries relating to the syrup, though Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Zimbabwe also issued recalls.

“There is no information about what happened in Nigeria and Kenya. As a regulator, we are letting our public know what we found as part of our independent investigation,” said Poovan.

Additionally, Kenvue, the company that now owns the Benylin brand following its spinoff from J&J last year, stated that their independent tests of the recalled batches revealed no presence of either diethylene glycol or another closely linked toxin, ethylene glycol.

LISTEN to the full interview with Ml Sulaimaan Ravat and SAHPRA’s Deon Poovan, here.

ADVERTISE HERE

Prime Spot!!!

Contact:
advertisingadmin@radioislam.co.za 

Related Articles

The Africa Report

The Africa Report

19 May 2026 | 11:46 CAT 4-minute read Digital fraud crisis in Africa Africa is experiencing a rapidly accelerating digital fraud crisis as cybercriminals exploit the continent's booming mobile connectivity. Driven by AI tools, deepfakes, and social engineering, fraud...

read more
Middle East Report

Middle East Report

15 May 2026 | 11:45 CAT 3-minute read Strait of Hormuz: a competition of endurance The 2026 conflict in the Strait of Hormuz has devolved into a high-stakes war of attrition between the United States and Iran, marked by a collapsed, fragile ceasefire and persistent...

read more
The Resilience Of President Ramaphosa

The Resilience Of President Ramaphosa

Rabia Mayet | rabiamayet@radioislam.co.za 14 May 2026 3-minute read Reigniting the impeachment debate around accountability and constitutional processes in his concord drama, President Cyril Ramaphosa is once again at the centre of political and legal turbulence,...

read more
The Asia Pacific Report

The Asia Pacific Report

14 May 2026 | 12:50 CAT 4-minute read Trump’s China visit Donald Trump’s May 2026 state visit to Beijing marks his first visit to the country during his second presidential term, and is markedly different from his October 2025 meeting with Xi Jinping in Busan, South...

read more
The Media Lens

The Media Lens

13 May 2026 | 13:50 CAT 4-minute read US President Donald Trump is travelling to Beijing for a high-stakes, two-day state visit with Chinese President Xi Jinping from 13 to 15 May 2026. The visit marks the first by a sitting US president to China in nearly a decade....

read more
The President’s Speech

The President’s Speech

Rabia Mayet | rabiamayet@radioislam.co.za 12 May 2026 3-minute read In a speech given on Monday night, President Cyril Ramaphosa has declared he will not resign following the Constitutional Court ruling on May 8, 2026, which reignited the Phala-Phala scandal. The...

read more

Subscribe to our Newsletter

0 Comments