CURRENTLY ON AIR ⇒
  • Quran Recitation
    Saturday, 3:30 am - 6:00 am
    [ - ]

feedback@radioislam.org.za

logo


((( Listen Live )))))
Radio Islam Logo


Sudan: US-backed humanitarian truce offers fragile hope amid ongoing conflict

Neelam Rahim | neelam@radioislam.co.za

3-minute read | 08 November 2025 | 08:00 CAT

Sudanese civilians endure a severe humanitarian crisis as armed factions maintain control over different regions. Image Credit: REUTERS 📸

After more than two years of brutal civil war, Sudan’s paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) have indicated they will accept a US-backed humanitarian truce, raising cautious hopes for relief in a country ravaged by violence and displacement.

Ahmed Kodouda, a humanitarian policy and operations expert, explained that “this ceasefire acceptance by the Rapid Support Forces is different because of the international process under which it was initially formulated.” The truce follows a proposal by the “Quad” of Egypt, Saudi Arabia, the United States, and the United Arab Emirates, which called for a nine-month ceasefire as a first step toward a broader political process aimed at ending the war.

However, the realities on the ground remain challenging. “Even after the announcement of their acceptance of the ceasefire proposal, the RSF proceeded to conduct aerial strikes through drones in major populated areas,” Kodouda said, noting that hostilities have not fully ceased. Meanwhile, Sudan’s government, led by the Sudan Armed Forces, has welcomed the proposal but stopped short of full commitment, creating uncertainty over enforcement.

The humanitarian situation is critical. Kodouda noted, “30 million Sudanese two out of every three people are in need of humanitarian assistance, and 21 million require food aid.” Famine has been declared in parts of the country including al-Fashr and Qadougli. Humanitarian access is severely constrained, with aid often diverted by armed groups and attacks on aid workers reported, particularly in RSF-controlled areas. The UN has outlined a $4 billion plan to meet these needs, of which only 27% has been funded.

Experts also caution that the conflict cannot be simplified as an “Arab versus African” war. Kodouda said, “This conflict has largely transcended those lines. It is a much more complicated, nuanced context that really needs to be unpacked to be fully understood.”

Without an inclusive political process accompanying the ceasefire, Sudan risks a stalemate similar to Libya, with two factions entrenched politically and militarily, each backed by different international actors. Kodouda emphasized that international alignment and pressure are crucial to ensure both peace and humanitarian access, as millions of civilians continue to suffer in one of the world’s most severe crises.

Listen to the full interview on The Daily Round Up with Moulana Junaid Kharsany.

 

ADVERTISE HERE

Prime Spot!!!

Contact:
advertisingadmin@radioislam.co.za 

Related Articles

Alternative Mining Indaba 2026

Alternative Mining Indaba 2026

Rabia Mayet | rabiamayet@radioislam.co.za 19 February 2026 1-minute read The Alternative Mining Indaba which concluded in Cape Town brought together an array of people under the theme: Alternative Stories of Mining, united in solidarity with the mining communities...

read more
SONA 2026: Calls for Action on Frontline Public Services

SONA 2026: Calls for Action on Frontline Public Services

Neelam Rahim | neelam@radioislam.co.za 3-minute read 11 February 2026 As South Africa prepares for the 2026 State of the Nation Address (SONA), renewed calls are being made for the government to prioritise the rebuilding of frontline public services, which analysts...

read more
ActionSA’s Proposal For Immigrants

ActionSA’s Proposal For Immigrants

Rabia Mayet | rabiamayet@radioislam.co.za 17 February 2026 2-minute read On the revised ‘White Paper on Citizenship, Immigration and Refugee Protection’ published last year, Actions SA has proposed for only 10 thousand applications for asylum seekers to be considered...

read more
What DA Premier Expects From SONA

What DA Premier Expects From SONA

Rabia Mayet | rabiamayet@radioislam.co.za 12 February 2026 2-minute read With 345 murders in the Western Cape this January, DA Premier Allen Winde states that his expectations from SONA this year are levelled towards crime. The party has been calling for a long time...

read more

Subscribe to our Newsletter

0 Comments