CURRENTLY ON AIR ⇒
  • Your World Today, Mufti Yusuf Moosagie
    Wednesday, 4:05 pm - 5:00 pm
    [ - ]

feedback@radioislam.org.za

logo


((( Listen Live )))))
Radio Islam Logo


Taxi bosses and ANC distance itself from EFF’s taxi protest in Cape Town

Neelam Rahim | neelam@radioislam.co.za

2-minute read
03 October 2023 | 14:47 CAT

EFF members marched in Cape Town on Monday to draw attention to taxi impoundments. Image: Michael Walker

The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) s set off on a march through Cape Town on Monday to protest against taxi impoundments in the Western Cape despite the withdrawal of various other organisations.

The provincial ANC, Santaco and the SA National Civic Organisation (Sanco) on Sunday cancelled their participation in the protest, which calls for an end to “unjust taxi impoundments, gangsterism, a collapsed service delivery, unemployment, unlawful evictions and racism in Cape Town.

By 1 p.m., marchers were moving through Athlone towards the Ndabeni pound. Billed as another provincial shutdown, the event had only drawn about 100 protesters.

An EFF march notification said the event was prompted by “unjust taxi impoundments” and “taxi passengers’ harassment”.

ANC provincial spokesperson Muhammad Khalid Sayed said the party is unhappy with the EFF labelling the march as a shutdown, saying they only support a peaceful resolution to taxi industry disputes in the city.

“It was always our position that this was a multi-party march against the unlawful impoundment of taxis. It was never intended to be a shutdown led by one political party. The mixed messages emanating as late as Sunday morning in the media have convinced us that it would be unwise to participate,” Sayed said.

He said the ANC only supports a peaceful resolution to taxi industry disputes with the city of Cape Town.

“We are opposed to any form of shutdown. We support a peaceful resolution of the issues facing the minibus taxi industry. The ANC will continue to engage the taxi industry, civil society, and with all spheres of government to find a lasting solution,” he added.

Listen to the full interview on Your World Today with Moulana Muhammed Bham.

ADVERTISE HERE

Prime Spot!!!

Contact:
advertisingadmin@radioislam.co.za 

Related Articles

SONA 2026: Calls for Action on Frontline Public Services

SONA 2026: Calls for Action on Frontline Public Services

Neelam Rahim | neelam@radioislam.co.za 3-minute read 11 February 2026 As South Africa prepares for the 2026 State of the Nation Address (SONA), renewed calls are being made for the government to prioritise the rebuilding of frontline public services, which analysts...

read more
ActionSA’s Proposal For Immigrants

ActionSA’s Proposal For Immigrants

Rabia Mayet | rabiamayet@radioislam.co.za 17 February 2026 2-minute read On the revised ‘White Paper on Citizenship, Immigration and Refugee Protection’ published last year, Actions SA has proposed for only 10 thousand applications for asylum seekers to be considered...

read more
What DA Premier Expects From SONA

What DA Premier Expects From SONA

Rabia Mayet | rabiamayet@radioislam.co.za 12 February 2026 2-minute read With 345 murders in the Western Cape this January, DA Premier Allen Winde states that his expectations from SONA this year are levelled towards crime. The party has been calling for a long time...

read more

Subscribe to our Newsletter

0 Comments