CURRENTLY ON AIR ⇒
  • NEWS
    Thursday, 6:00 pm - 6:20 pm
    [ - ]

feedback@radioislam.org.za

logo


((( Listen Live )))))
Radio Islam Logo


Eldorado Park killings spark outrage over broken safety promises

Neelam Rahim | neelam@radioislam.co.za
2-minute read
03 May 2025 | 14:10 CAT

A young girl in Eldorado Park holds a placard reading “Save Our Children” — a heart-wrenching plea from a community caught in the crossfire of gang violence. (Photo by Gallo Images / Foto24 / Denzil Maregele)

Three lives lost. One person clinging to life. Another bloodstained weekend in Eldorado Park, where gang-related violence continues to spiral out of control — and residents say they’ve had enough.

Michael Sun of the Democratic Alliance (DA) has called out Gauteng Premier Panyaza Lesufi for what he terms “a string of broken promises” to the embattled community. “In 2022, Premier Lesufi said that he’d send helicopters and drones to combat crime,” said Sun. “Yet here we are, still counting the dead.”

This latest incident, believed to be part of a turf war between rival gangs, saw two young men gunned down in broad daylight, their vehicle riddled with bullets. Days later, another life was lost. “It’s becoming untenable,” said Sun, describing how both young men and women are increasingly drawn into gang life, driven by poverty and the lure of fast cash and power.

But while the community mourns, anger mounts. “People are terrified. The elderly, the children — they’re caught in a war zone,” said Sun. “And every time a tragedy strikes, politicians arrive, make promises, and disappear.”

Sun argues the crisis is rooted in deeper socio-economic failures. “The youth are trapped in a cycle. They don’t see opportunity, so they reach for guns instead of books.” He called on the government to fund intelligence-led policing and to roll out community development initiatives that steer youth toward education and employment.

Crucially, he noted the province has no MEC for Community Safety, with that function now under the Premier’s office. “Premier Lesufi must be held accountable. We’ll be writing to the Community Safety Portfolio Committee chairperson to demand his presence and answers.”

As yet another family plans a funeral, the DA’s warning is clear: “This cannot be just another killing. If no action is taken, there will be another. And another.”

The questions remain: How many more must die before safety is more than a soundbite?

Listen to the full interview on The Daily Round-Up with Annisa Essack and Micheal Sun here.

ADVERTISE HERE

Prime Spot!!!

Contact:
advertisingadmin@radioislam.co.za 

Related Articles

SONA 2026: Calls for Action on Frontline Public Services

SONA 2026: Calls for Action on Frontline Public Services

Neelam Rahim | neelam@radioislam.co.za 3-minute read 11 February 2026 As South Africa prepares for the 2026 State of the Nation Address (SONA), renewed calls are being made for the government to prioritise the rebuilding of frontline public services, which analysts...

read more
ActionSA’s Proposal For Immigrants

ActionSA’s Proposal For Immigrants

Rabia Mayet | rabiamayet@radioislam.co.za 17 February 2026 2-minute read On the revised ‘White Paper on Citizenship, Immigration and Refugee Protection’ published last year, Actions SA has proposed for only 10 thousand applications for asylum seekers to be considered...

read more
What DA Premier Expects From SONA

What DA Premier Expects From SONA

Rabia Mayet | rabiamayet@radioislam.co.za 12 February 2026 2-minute read With 345 murders in the Western Cape this January, DA Premier Allen Winde states that his expectations from SONA this year are levelled towards crime. The party has been calling for a long time...

read more

Subscribe to our Newsletter

0 Comments