CURRENTLY ON AIR ⇒
  • NEWS
    Saturday, 8:00 pm - 8:05 pm
    [ - ]

feedback@radioislam.org.za

logo


((( Listen Live )))))
Radio Islam Logo


Extortion rackets paralyses Cape Town services amid rising gang threats

Azra Hoosen | ah@radioislam.co.za
25 November 2024 | 15:00 CAT
2 min read

Extortion syndicates in Cape Town are targeting businesses and service providers with threatening letters, demanding protection fees. Recent incidents forced contractors to halt cleaning services for container toilets in informal settlements, disrupting vital sanitation for thousands. City officials are working on solutions, but criminal networks’ tactics remain a challenge.

Councillor Dr Zahid Badroodien told Radio Islam that this has been an ongoing issue for quite some time. It started in certain informal settlements, where criminals target contractors working on sewer repairs and other essential service delivery projects.

“This has grown over time, to the extent that our trucks are being stopped and threatening letters are being written to these companies with contact details and their information demanding that up to R30 000 be paid in protection fees. What this means for us, in the city, is that we then have to remove these services because it is not safe for the contractors and our staff to work in these informal communities, but we also have to spend more money on security, both internal and private, this is becoming more sinister,” he said.

He emphasised that the safety and security teams are working hard to identify the ringleaders behind these attacks on staff members.

Cllr Badroodien explained that the work being done in these areas is not basic labour; it involves advanced technology and deep underground machinery. These attacks are affecting major capital projects, including toilet infrastructure, sewer pipe repairs, and other critical initiatives, all of which have become targets.

“There are community members who know who these people are, and we appeal to them to report these individuals, but one must consider they are also hesitant for their own safety,” he noted.

He emphasised the importance of contractors taking action by opening cases with the police and notifying the City. “This allows our Special Investigative Unit (SIU) to track down the ringleaders who are disrupting our ability to deliver essential services in key Cape Town communities,” he said.

According to Cllr Badroodien, the City of Cape Town has a specialised “war room” through its safety and security department to address extortion incidents. This initiative is not limited to the water and sanitation sector; urban waste management services, including refuse collection, are also being targeted, causing widespread concern.

The war room brings together relevant directorates to identify threats, coordinate necessary support for key utility services, and ensure operations continue without disruption. Simultaneously, investigations are ongoing in collaboration with the police to identify and arrest those responsible.

In addition, the mayor had previously launched an anti-extortion campaign to raise awareness about the crisis and its impact on the city.

“Hopefully, all of this together will help reduce the risk over time,” he said.

LISTEN to the full interview with Ml Sulaimaan Ravat and Councillor Zahid Badroodien, Cape Town Water and Sanitation Mayoral Committee Member, here.

 

ADVERTISE HERE

Prime Spot!!!

Contact:
advertisingadmin@radioislam.co.za 

Related Articles

Dr Taskeen Fathima Docrat: Researching Rooibos

Dr Taskeen Fathima Docrat: Researching Rooibos

Rabia Mayet | rabiamayet@radioislam.co.za 28 August 2025 3-minute read A scientist turning a proudly South African brew into a weapon against one of the world’s toughest diseases. Dr Taskeen Fathima Docrat from the Cape Peninsula University of Technology is leading...

read more
The Middle East Report

The Middle East Report

Sameera Casmod | sameerac@radioislam.co.za 29 August 2025 | 11:41 CAT 3-minute read Gaza ceasefire mediators have diverging objectives While Qatar and Egypt have have persuaded Hamas to accept the month-old ceasefire proposal, the United States and Israel have...

read more
The Media Lens

The Media Lens

28 August 2025 | 10:25 CAT 2-minute read Silencing the Truth: Gaza Journalists Under Fire In today’s segment of the Media Lens, Ibrahim Deen delivered a searing critique of how Western media coverage is quietly facilitating the erosion of press freedom—and, with it,...

read more
The Asia Pacific Report

The Asia Pacific Report

FORUM-ASIA reports shrinking civic space across Asia as HRD crackdowns increase 28 August 2025 | 09:15 CAT 2-minute read In its sixth biennial Defending in Numbers: Reclaiming Civic Space, Unbroken Voices report, released on 14 July 2025, FORUM-ASIA delivers a stark...

read more

Subscribe to our Newsletter

0 Comments