½ cup brown sugar
2 Tblspn white sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp good vanilla extract
1 cup flour (loosely compacted)
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
100g choc chips ( a little less than ½ cup)
80g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
Sea Salt Flakes for sprinkling
- Melt butter over medium heat. Continue to cook, stirring often until butter starts to foam and turn brown, it should have a kind of nutty smell. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and bicarb.
- Place sugars into a mixing bowl. Pour the burnt butter into the sugar, use a strainer so the milk solids don’t get poured in.
- Mix butter and sugar with a hand mixer. Add in egg and mix until mixture had lightened in colour and thickened
- Add in vanilla. Mix again
- Add the flour mixture into the egg mixture and fold in using a spatula until just incorporated. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Add in the choc chips and chopped dark chocolate and mix until evenly distributed. (Note: if the mixture is still too warm it will start to melt the chocolate.)
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out balls of cookie dough onto a lined baking tray. Approx 50g-55g per cookie.
- If you like thin Crispy cookies, bake immediately. If you like chunky, chewy cookies, chill dough for 30mins before baking.
- You can flatten balls slightly before baking, and add more chocolate from the top if you like.
- Bake at 180°C for 12 mins (use your discretion according to your oven).
- Sprinkle salt Flakes as soon as it comes out of oven, and leave to set for 10-15 min before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature