CURRENTLY ON AIR ⇒
  • New Horizons, Faaiza Munshi
    Wednesday, 10:05 am - 11:00 am
    [ - ]

feedback@radioislam.org.za

logo


((( Listen Live )))))
Radio Islam Logo


In a tit for tat move, India asks Canada, diplomat to leave the country in 5 days

Neelam Rahim | neelam@radioislam.co.za

3-minute read
21 September 2023 | 21:49 CAT

Image: Independent Press

A senior Canadian diplomat has been ordered to leave India within five days, the Indian foreign ministry said, hours after Ottawa expelled an Indian diplomat in an escalating rift over the killing of a Sikh separatist earlier this year.

The tit-for-tat diplomatic expulsions came after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Canada was investigating “credible allegations” linking India to the June killing of Canadian citizen and prominent Sikh leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar.

Nijjar was a prominent Sikh leader in western Canada, and according to local police, he was gunned down in his truck in June by two masked gunmen outside a Sikh temple in Surrey, British Columbia.

India on Tuesday said it rejected Trudeau’s allegations, calling them “absurd and motivated.”

“The concerned diplomat has been asked to leave India within the next five days,” it said in a statement. “The decision reflects Government of India’s growing concern at the interference of Canadian diplomats in our internal matters and their involvement in anti-India activities.”

“We are a democratic polity with a strong commitment to rule of law,” a statement released by the country’s foreign ministry said.

Editor of the Hardnews magazine, Sanjay Kapoor, told Radio Islam International the readout between Prime Minister Modi and Prime Minister Trudeau showed that Modi was harsh with Trudeau.

“Modi told Trudeau that he should not give any kind of space to radical elements and he should strain this ideology,” Kapoor said.

He added, “India is very touchy about the growing radicalism in the sick communities of the minority which is barely 1.8 percent of India’s population.”

Canadian police have not arrested anyone in connection with Nijjar’s murder. But in an August update, police released a statement saying they were investigating three suspects and issued a description of a possible getaway vehicle, asking for the public’s help.

Listen to the full interview with Mufti Yusuf Moosagie on Your World Today.

 

ADVERTISE HERE

Prime Spot!!!

Contact:
advertisingadmin@radioislam.co.za 

Related Articles

SONA 2026: Calls for Action on Frontline Public Services

SONA 2026: Calls for Action on Frontline Public Services

Neelam Rahim | neelam@radioislam.co.za 3-minute read 11 February 2026 As South Africa prepares for the 2026 State of the Nation Address (SONA), renewed calls are being made for the government to prioritise the rebuilding of frontline public services, which analysts...

read more
ActionSA’s Proposal For Immigrants

ActionSA’s Proposal For Immigrants

Rabia Mayet | rabiamayet@radioislam.co.za 17 February 2026 2-minute read On the revised ‘White Paper on Citizenship, Immigration and Refugee Protection’ published last year, Actions SA has proposed for only 10 thousand applications for asylum seekers to be considered...

read more
What DA Premier Expects From SONA

What DA Premier Expects From SONA

Rabia Mayet | rabiamayet@radioislam.co.za 12 February 2026 2-minute read With 345 murders in the Western Cape this January, DA Premier Allen Winde states that his expectations from SONA this year are levelled towards crime. The party has been calling for a long time...

read more

Subscribe to our Newsletter

0 Comments