CURRENTLY ON AIR ⇒
  • NEWS & Zuhr Azaan : MON -THUR
    Thursday, 1:00 pm - 1:05 pm
    [ - ]

feedback@radioislam.org.za

logo


((( Listen Live )))))
Radio Islam Logo


Ratepayers warn of boycott over proposed eThekwini tariff hikes

21 May 2026 | 12:57 CAT
2-minute read

Frustration over proposed tariff increases and ongoing service delivery concerns spilled onto the streets of Durban as ratepayers and civic organisations marched to City Hall in protest against eThekwini Municipality’s draft budget proposals.

The demonstration followed recent talks between ratepayer representatives and municipal officials, including Mayor Cyril Xaba, which ended without a resolution. Protesters argue that residents are being burdened with repeated double-digit increases at a time when many households are already struggling financially.

Chairperson of the eThekwini Ratepayers Protest Movement (ERPM), Asad Gaffar, said the issue extended beyond a single budget cycle, describing it as a pattern that has developed over several years.

“This has been happening now for the last maybe five to six years. And many people cannot afford, you know, this tariff increases.”

Gaffar said the movement had attempted to work collaboratively with the municipality by offering assistance in the budget drafting process earlier this year. He argued that legislation encourages stakeholder engagement, but claimed their proposal was rejected.

After reviewing the municipality’s draft budget, ERPM raised concerns about what it viewed as missing information and questioned whether decision-makers had enough detail to properly assess the document.

The group subsequently rejected the proposed budget and tariff increases, taking part in public engagement processes while warning that further action would follow if their concerns were ignored.

According to Gaffar, the movement also developed its own budget proposal aimed at reducing spending pressures through tighter controls and cost-cutting measures.

“It’s simple. It’s not even rocket science. If they simply adhere to what we are asking them to look at, the city will work much better.”

He said the proposal identified areas where expenditure could be reduced while maintaining municipal functionality and addressing concerns highlighted in Auditor-General reports.

Gaffar added that discussions with municipal officials had shown some willingness to consider aspects of the proposal, with further engagements expected in the coming days ahead of the budget vote.

However, he warned that if the municipality proceeded with the increases unchanged, further action could follow.

“If they’re still going to push ahead with this double-digit tariff increase, then we will have to continue our rolling match action.”

He said a payment boycott remained a possibility if demonstrations and negotiations failed to produce results.

The municipality is expected to finalise and adopt its budget before the beginning of July in accordance with the Municipal Finance Management Act. Ratepayer groups say their next steps will depend on the final tariffs announced by the city.

Listen to the full interview with Asad Gaffar on Sabaahul Muslim, presented by Moulana Habib Bobat.

ADVERTISE HERE

Prime Spot!!!

Contact:
advertisingadmin@radioislam.co.za 

Related Articles

The Asia Pacific Report

The Asia Pacific Report

21 May 2026 | 11:40 CAT 1-minute read The plight of the Rohingya remains one of the world’s longest-running humanitarian crises, with growing concerns over safety, accountability and the future of millions of displaced people. Speaking on Radio Islam International’s...

read more
The Africa Report

The Africa Report

19 May 2026 | 11:46 CAT 4-minute read Digital fraud crisis in Africa Africa is experiencing a rapidly accelerating digital fraud crisis as cybercriminals exploit the continent's booming mobile connectivity. Driven by AI tools, deepfakes, and social engineering, fraud...

read more
Middle East Report

Middle East Report

15 May 2026 | 11:45 CAT 3-minute read Strait of Hormuz: a competition of endurance The 2026 conflict in the Strait of Hormuz has devolved into a high-stakes war of attrition between the United States and Iran, marked by a collapsed, fragile ceasefire and persistent...

read more
The Resilience Of President Ramaphosa

The Resilience Of President Ramaphosa

Rabia Mayet | rabiamayet@radioislam.co.za 14 May 2026 3-minute read Reigniting the impeachment debate around accountability and constitutional processes in his concord drama, President Cyril Ramaphosa is once again at the centre of political and legal turbulence,...

read more
The Asia Pacific Report

The Asia Pacific Report

14 May 2026 | 12:50 CAT 4-minute read Trump’s China visit Donald Trump’s May 2026 state visit to Beijing marks his first visit to the country during his second presidential term, and is markedly different from his October 2025 meeting with Xi Jinping in Busan, South...

read more
The Media Lens

The Media Lens

13 May 2026 | 13:50 CAT 4-minute read US President Donald Trump is travelling to Beijing for a high-stakes, two-day state visit with Chinese President Xi Jinping from 13 to 15 May 2026. The visit marks the first by a sitting US president to China in nearly a decade....

read more

Subscribe to our Newsletter

0 Comments