Boil the following in 2 cups water & keep covered:
2 tsp whole jeeru,
5 cardamom pods
3 to 4 cloves,
3 cinnamon sticks,
12 black peppercorns.
• Soak 2 cups rice in hot water and leave aside.
• 1 chicken cut into pieces
• 2 large onions finely chopped,
• 1 cup oil and 1/4 cup ghee.
• Braise onions, when onions are pinky gold add your chicken and
• 1 tbsp. ginger paste and 1 tbsp. garlic paste,
• 1 tsp salt,
• 1 ½ tsp jeeru powder,
• 1 tsp turmeric.
• Let it cook a bit then add 2 grated tomato with 3 tsp paprika and hot chili powder according to taste, and 2 tsp dhania powder.
• Add 2 cups maas/sour milk, then add in the water of the soaked spices with cinnamon sticks and close lid of the pot, this gives it a lovely flavor.
• Keep pot covered.
• Add potatoes when chicken is half done.
• Once potatoes are cooked add in raw rice, add very little water if needed.
• Put in dhania and big sprig of mint.
• Mix well and place in oven to cook. Garnish with fresh chopped dhania.